16 June 2013

VHL/NIH Neurosurgery Update

I just got back from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, Maryland for testing and evaluation in the neurosurgery clinic.  As many may know, I have four brain tumors and seven spinal cord tumors that are being monitored by this clinic (my abdominal tumors are monitored at the NIH National Cancer Institute).  My tumors all look stable on the MRI film.  I have had a lot of numbness in my hands and the neurosurgeon said it could be a symptom of one of my spinal cord tumors that sits at the top of the cord, just below the brainstem.  Although I got an "everything is stable" report, that particular tumor makes me nervous because my beloved Dad died of a brainstem tumor and kidney cancer.  But, as all of us with VHL know, stable is the best we can hope for, so I am grateful!  Thank you to all who pray for me and who support my family and I through our ups and downs with VHL. Special shout out to Lisa! And Cindy K who is my HERO!

No comments:

Post a Comment